How to Acquire a Second Passport and Citizenship
In today’s world, the need for an extra passport and citizenship can never be overemphasized. It gives you a Plan B in case Plan A goes haywire. You then have the freedom of working, traveling, doing business and living all over the world.
The feeling of not being beheld to one nation is quite refreshing too if you come to think of it. It is just the same way you feel when you put your assets in different banks. This is called feeling secure.
Many people are unaware of the reasons why you need a second passport and citizenship as well as the various citizenship programs that are currently available. Now we will discuss these amazing opportunities and the reasons why you need the second citizenship.
Second Citizenship and Passport Programs
Acquiring a citizenship with another country means that the particular state is providing you with certain rights as its citizen such as being able to work, own property and vote. In return, you accept to be responsible and uphold the laws and customary practices in that country.
There are simpler and faster ways of acquiring second citizenships than the traditional methods such as naturalization. You will need to single out a particular second citizenship program that will work for you and utilize it.
More and more people are using these easy methods to expand their options just in case things go thick in their motherland. Various companies are now offering these programs in various packages as the easiest ways of having a dual citizenship.
These packages involve citizenships in various jurisdictions whichever you prefer. Better still, you can choose the package of your choice, ranging from citizenship by investment, or by residence among several other options.
- Citizenship by Investment
This is a way to get a second passport legally by investing in the economy of another country. It provides faster means of getting a second passport than the traditional naturalization methods.
These programs offer you a chance to contribute to the society, economy, culture and any other sector that the state may be interested in. They are meant to attract foreign investors in exchange for a second valid passport.
Many investors are then able to escape the high taxes which give them very little income returns.
To get the best deal for your investment citizenship, you need to consult the companies which will provide you with the best services. These two factors are correlated. If you use the best service provider, you will be able to get the best deal out of your application.
When it comes to offering these dual citizenship programs, no company does it quite like VRP-MENA. It leads, others follow. It provides you with a chance to get Vanuatu citizenship by investment, provided you satisfy the following requirements:
- Good health: During your application, you need to prove that you don’t suffer from any infectious disease. Besides, you shouldn’t carry a disease that may impose a burden on the Vanuatu Healthcare System.
- Make contributions to the National Development and Social Fund: The applicant must contribute USD$130,000 to the government of Vanuatu. The total cost of citizenship includes additional charges and fees for background checks, and VIPA, passport, processing and handling fees.
- Pass a Fit and Purpose Test: Vanuatu Government carries out a thorough due diligence test to make sure that those who want to acquire a citizenship of the island nation are in good standing and are reputable. You must demonstrate a clean criminal record.
- Citizenship by Residence
This is another available option in case you want to acquire a second citizenship. The requirements for being a resident in a particular country are not as stringent as those for citizenship by investment.
If you are a resident of a country, you do not possess the same rights as a person who is a citizen by either investment or traditional means. As a legal resident, you are able to:
- Live, travel, study and work within that country without any restrictions. These conditions may vary depending on the conditions and category of your resident visa.
- Hold international documents for traveling from the country you are residing in while still retaining the foreign passport.
- Leave and re-enter the country of residence. However, you may be denied to re-enter at some point if you fail to fulfill some of the residence requirements.
Who Qualifies to Apply for a Second Passport Legally?
There are various categories of people who are qualified to apply for a second passport. It depends on the type of program you are interested in. If you are one of the people listed below, you can easily apply for a second passport.
- A person without any criminal record can apply for a second passport.
- An investor or a businessman
- A person with no allegiance to any state (stateless)
- A person who travels a lot
- Someone who is renouncing their citizenship (you need to make an application first before renouncing your current citizenship)
Countries That Don’t Require a Visa When You Are a Second Passport Holder
Your second passport can take you through certain countries, while others may not recognize it. The countries that accept second passports are generally termed as visa-free second passport countries.
Here are a few of the popular locations that you can visit with your second passport.
- EU Countries
- Hong Kong
When you obtain a second passport legally, you free yourself from dependence on one country. You’ll be able to make wiser choices as you’ll have abundant options at your disposal.
If you want to seek a second passport, you have multiple options to choose from. You could choose the investment way or go through the residence way. Either way, always insist on the option that suits your needs.